Monday 10 November 2008

Christmas Gift Knits

Okay, it's that time of year to start the gift knits and everything else has been put on hold. I've decided on sweaters this year and have them picked out and started already (yay, go me for once on being organised-ish).

Dad was easy to think of a pattern, I've gone for the Cobblestone by Jared Flood, I'm using New Lanark Donegal Silk Tweed Aran in the colourway dark graphite, it's a wool silk mix that feels a little scratchy to begin with but when washed really sofens up (at least that's what others have said, I've not got to the washing stage yet.)
So far so good, it seems to be working up real fast and as of yet I've not encountered any problems although that could all change when I get to the short rows as I've never done short rows before (eek!).

Mum was a little harder to think of until I got my new book The Knitter's Handy Book Of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd, I'm in love with this book and just want to give everything a go :-)

I don't want to give too much away as mum reads this blog on occasion but I’ve a gauge of 7 stitches and 10 rows = 2 inch in stocking stitch in the round using 6mm circs and Paton's Washed Haze Aran, so I cast on 140 (instead of the recommended 160) stitches to achieve a 40 inch chest. Just hope my math is correct :-)

I’d finished binding all the neck stitches off and had also finished all my decreases. I should have had 31 stitches but I had 62, so a real mess up somehow. I’ve frogged back and will re-attach the sleeves today and hope that I don’t mess up this time. It seems I didn't do enough decreases and should be able to get back on track in no time as this jumper is so fast to knit it practically flies of the needles.

I'm getting a little worried that I may run out of yarn so will order a couple of extra balls this week to be on the safe side.


0 comments: